So it has been more than a year now since I first started trying Primaforce Phenibut (beta-phenyl-gamma-aminobutyric acid) as a friends recommendation that it can replace alcohol and is completely legal. I wanted to try it because while I often drink alcohol and have been able to almost never get a hangover using the protocol posted here, I still was drinking 5-7 nights a week after my workday and I figured using an alternative could give my liver some rest. Phenibut is legal in US/Canada and I got it shipped to many countries while traveling (Hungary, Romania, Vietnam, Bangkok).
So far, phenibut has been awesome for me, helping me feel calm, have a great time, and amazing sleep. But it has some limitations and mild side effects (or maybe benefits depending on what you want). With the uses I did, it can be used both as a replacement for alcohol or a great “mood enhancer/confidence booster” before a networking event or something stressful (public speaking?), WITHOUT the tipsiness/slurring of words of alcohol.
It is basically a precursor to what GHB (illegal drug in most countries) does instantly, making you happy and confident, similar to alcohol while being also legal. Another plus side if you want to take it before partying, you can mix it without any problem with alcohol (and I mean I sometimes went a bit extreme in combining them, 2.5g phenibut with 500-750ml of vodka, over the years) unlike GHB which I never tried but you do not want mix with alcohol. It also has some effects similar to MDMA such as relaxation, more fun sex. However, Phenibut is not perfect and has a few negatives to go along its strong benefits. Here’s a wikipdia link on phenibut if you want more scientific information behind how it works..
Phenibut dosage and when to take it (very important)
While I explain the benefits below, please keep in mind I was looking for a strong benefit, some people take small doses to reduce anxiety, build more muscle and sleep better. I was going for a strong “happy” high similar to alcohol. For that, after more than a year my ideal phenibut dosage was 2-2.5g one night, per month. Obviously, do NOT go with this your first time, just in case as I tend to be very resistant to almost all drugs so its likely a smaller dose might be fine for others… I started with 500mg, a week later went to 1g, the next week, 1.5g then 2g.Only at 2g did I find any “euphoria benefits” that I was able to measure over and over when taken.
Something important to point out is I repeatedly noted during my notes that the effect if taken under 3 (ideally 4) weeks is really unnoticeable, your body is too used to it and to me it was worthless, EVERY time. So I only take it once a month now.
Finally, it takes HOURS for it to take effect, 4-6 hours to be exact over and over again. It is also better to take it 6 hours before than 4, especially if you take it to go party at night because I often (as I will elaborate later) feel so happy I don’t want to go to bed, so I sleep later then usual. Surprisingly it also helps with sleep quality (which is why some people take low dose phenibut for sleep everyday/often and also to help with insomnia) and I just wake up at my normal hours happy & relaxed, no side effects like a hangover from alcohol.
This is what a typical day/night looks like in terms of timing, which has been consistent every time.
Take at 8pm, feel happy by 11-midnight. Awake until 6-8am then have a great night.
My normal sleeping hours are 4-5am when I go party so I definitely stay up longer, not because I have insomnia but because I still feel too happy/energetic to go to bed, I often just watch videos or stay in my bed deep in thoughts.
Nowadays, I take it at 5-6pm (12 hours before i want it to end) so I feel the high earlier and go to sleep at the same hour as my usual party times.
If you go to bed earlier, or you are just using it to relax before a big networking event or something (and don’t want to look tipsy like on alcohol) just use it even earlier in the day so it ends faster. So, if you have a cocktail party at 7pm to midnight, take it at 1pm. I highly recommend it for better who are shy or axious about their first impression at a big business.
Summary of Benefits of Phenibut from my experience
1) You feel very at ease with everything, similar to alcohol without the “dizzyness” or side effects. It really kills anxiety and basically I feel high on life without it looking obvious I took something besides alcohol (if you even mix it with alcohol), to others. You don’t look like a guy on some crazy energetic drug like crack or speed but just a very positive guy. You could take it before going to a restaurant, a funeral, anything really.
2) Great combined with alcohol (or without). If you combine with alcohol, you probably will need way less alcohol before you feel “happy”. So you save on alcohol $$ and side effects.
3) Helps you sleep better, but I have not tested taking it often, as with the doses I take my body stops giving me any high if I take it again within 3 weeks. Since it takes time to take effect, I would not take it on a given night I discover I have insomnia as it would take too long to kick in… Instead I would take melatonin and do as in my great sleep guide.
4) Cheap & legal
5) Long lasting (~4-6 hours before buzz, 12 hours before it feels like its fading away)
6) Sex can feel better & you might feel more horny/action taking, similar to some drugs like MDMA phenibut can enhance it a bit, its not huge in my experience, maybe because often its mixed with alcohol in my case, however it does come with a side effect of orgasm is harder to reach (but feels great if you do).
My phenibut side effects
1) You cannot feel the effects again for 3-4 weeks at the dosage I take for a “big phenibut high”, unless you would take an enormous dose the next time (4g+?). DO NOT DO THIS! This is when phenibut can get dangerous! It is possible to have “phenibut withdrawal effects” if you take it often, I never had any. Your body after all, does QUICKLY adapt to previous doses, upping it constantly day after day is just dangerous. I tried it on a weekly basis at 2g and it was worthless, so once 3 (ideally 4+ weeks) is best.
2) Very hard to ejaculate during sex! This might be actually be a benefit for those with Premature ejaculation, but for me, and this was repeatable many times, it is very hard (but not impossible) to have an ejaculation if combined with alcohol. So if you have premature ejaculation… Well this is actually a benefit!
3) Keeping myself awake longer than usual. As I mentioned before, it keeps me awake longer but I do not have insomnia, I simply do not feel tired or want to sleep immediately, I would rather just party more, walk around or watch movies. However, I DO feel great the next day so it is not a negative, but simply a reason to take it even earlier in the day to prevent this (and enjoy the “happy” earlier, I can easily do work under the effects if it hits me before I meet friends to party).
Where to buy phenibut online
First off, not all brands are equal in purity, make sure to test low doses of a brand each time you change. I personally have always used primaforce phenibut which has worked well for me and the only option anyway on on iherb (use my coupon code IFI934 for $5-10 off), with the 250mg capsules since it is more convenient for me. It often goes out of stuck so make sure to use the “get notified” if it is. I tried searching for it on amazon.com for those in the US but I cannot find it for some reason currently, even under other brand names! It seems to have been removed for now, please let me know if you see it come back.
Finally, I recently read a great summary book on phenibut for those skeptical or that want more information, showing its history and the experience of the author who used phenibut differently than me, only taking small doses of 250mg-1g many days in a row or doing something like 2 weeks in/2 weeks out for a week over an entire year. However by the end of the book he does mention that he does it like me now, only use it on days he needs a boost. He had the same benefits/side effects with sex but something that he had which I never did was the phenibut withdrawal symptoms (by taking it for a long time at high doses, then cutting off), but they seem not that bad in his experience, in fact to him it reminded him of a psychadelic experience similar to ayahuasca or mushrooms. Either way, I am not looking for withdrawal effects, so I just take it for a fun boost every now and then.
I highly recommend phenibut for everyone to try, not only as a replacement for alcohol if you rarely drink but it has a lot of other health benefits researched in Russia (where it was invented in the 1960s) that I did not mention such as growth hormone production, anti aging effects & better sleep. I am thinking of using it days I go to the gym at low doses on gym days, not only will it give me more energy, the growth hormone effect and better sleep will definitely help out. I would probably have to forgo the “big boost” once a month if I do that, but it is something I will try next.